Thursday, July 15, 2010

Something cool is coming

The social networking scene is cluttered with rumors lately. Will Facebook charge their users? Will Google release a “Google Me” platform? Will Google buy Twitter? Will MySpace be here next year? One of the smaller and more interesting rumors is of a new social networking experience releasing in the fall of 2010. I stumbled upon this site just the other day and immediately found rumors of it everywhere. The site is called Something Cool Happened. As you imagine the address is the same, www.somethingcoolhappened.com. But what is it you might ask? Well the site just has a teaser video right now, which may I say is quite intriguing. The video goes on to explain that this site will be a new social networking experience unlike anything we have seen. Whoever did the graphics for that video I say, “Bravo”. Very professional and the voice over is quite unique. After entering my email and clicking register I immediately received an email. The email explains that this site will have competition and creativity aspects as well as networking. Ok, sounds very cool but what do they mean? Whoever is developing this site is being very guarded with information. So off to Google I went. I searched www.somethingcoolhappened.com and found many rumors and chatter about it. If the rumors are true we will be able to interact with this site on many levels. One that struck me as “cool”, dare I say, was someone leaked that you will be able to create your own avatar in the site. Now I like that. Maybe it’s just me but I like fooling around with creations and coming up with something on my own for everyone to see. I did find a vague reference to the avatar creator on Facebook with reference to Something Cool Happened. One other aspect that intrigued me was a rumor I found that the premise of the site was to allow you to post cool happenings in your life or the lives of someone you may know. There seems to be three avenues to accomplish this. You can post a video, a picture or write a story. Awesome! This is like having YouTube, Facebook and Twitter all in one place with the added ability to be creative with a custom avatar.

Needless to say I am beyond interested and am looking forward to the fall release. We’ll see if this promise bears fruit but if the rumors are true it should be a very interesting fall.

2 comments:

  1. so i clicked the link to check it out. it brought me to a page that said i could register my email address to be alerted when somethingcoolhappened.com is available on the internet. when i clicked register, a message came up that said my email address has already been registered. how is this possible? where are you getting email addresses from? i had never heard of this site and did not register myself. what is going on here? the blog talks about more privacy than facebook. so far it doesn't feel that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why is this written in the third person, as if some random person who's in no way affiliated with "Somethingcoolhappened" just up and started a blog called "somethingcoolhappened.blogspot.com" in order to write long stories about how they're hearing rumors about how cool this new site is going to be? It's almost as if some marketing guy from the company started this blog and is writing about his own product... Weird...

    ReplyDelete